How to get access?
The equipment and tools are available for anyone with a valid RedID number.
build IT @SDSU Library is a student-run makerspace designed to foster creativity and innovation. By providing an infrastructure for the DIY learning of technology, build IT assists anyone in their mission of bringing their ideas to life. The build IT space provides a physical location where anyone can gather to explore, build, and learn through sharing resources and knowledge, working on projects, and networking. With its central location in the SDSU Library, access to build IT is available to anyone on-campus regardless of their discipline or expertise.
|Closed for Winter Break||December 22, 2017||January 16, 2018|
|Monday||10:00 am - 5:00 pm|
|Tuesday||10:00 am - 5:00 pm|
|Wednesday||10:00 am - 5:00 pm|
|Thursday||10:00 am - 5:00 pm|
|Friday||12:00 pm - 4:00 pm|
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call us at 619-594-1996
ALA 2017 Poster This is the companion website to the poster, “How to Leverage your Academic Makerspace to Help Advance Your Local Community,” presented at ALA Annual 2017, Chicago, IL SummaryBackground build IT is the makerspace of the SDSU Library. While it’s purpose is to provide access to technology to students, faculty, and staff, it […]
A few pictures from my electric longboard build. -by Doug Brantley
Missed the 3D printing workshops? Well, we missed you too. Here’s the presentation from the session. http://prezi.com/ufcmowve6dd_/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy
by Joey Casabar, 2014 Materials Plastic Processes 3D modeling, 3D printing Design Goals To design a more sanitary and sturdy Google Cardboard Challenges The original Google Cardboard design changed. Finding suppliers of the lens.
Adding Color A comparison of coloring 3D printed objects Natural PLA Red PLA White PLA How to color what’s 3D printed in build IT Acrylic Paint Painted with Sax True Flow acrylic paint in Fire Red Pro: Easy to apply Con: Paint coverage How many coats is applied? Two coats of acrylic paint. Acrylic Paint […]
3D Models 3D models are important for 3D printing. Before you can print something, you need to have the .stl file of what you want to print. How to get a .stl file CREATE YOUR OWN .STL FILE WITH 3D MODELING SOFTWARE Save your model as an .stl file! Solidworks Software specifically used by the […]
Definition The 3D printers in build IT create 3D objects by depositing layers of material incrementally to build a 3D object. The thickness of each layer of deposited material is called the ‘layer height’.For Fused Deposition Modeling, or FDM, printers like the ones in build IT, one variable that affects the final quality of a […]
Original image by Pete Prodoehl Before we begin Necessary TerminologyExtruder – This is a part of a 3D printer. This is the part that heats up to nearly melt the material so that the material can be worked with. A motor pushes the material through the hot part and out of a nozzle at the […]
Before We Begin Necessary TerminologyExtruder – This is a part of a 3D printer. This is the part that heats up to nearly melt the material so that the material can be worked with. A motor pushes the material through the hot part and out of a nozzle at the end. Filament – This is […]
Before we begin Necessary TerminologyExtruder – This is a part of a 3D printer. This is the part that heats up to nearly melt the material so that the material can be worked with. A motor pushes the material through the hot part and out of a nozzle at the end. Filament – This is […]
- Rajaee, L. (2016, August 17). Library Makerspaces Enhance Student Learning. CSU Libraries Network. Retrieved from http://libraries.calstate.edu/library-makerspaces/
- [SDSUVideo]. (2016, April 8). PLF Promotes Creativity and Innovation. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/fWOVMmxq2no
- SDSU News Team. (2016, March 2). Young Women of STEM. SDSU NewsCenter. Retrieved from http://newscenter.sdsu.edu/sdsu_newscenter/news_story.aspx?sid=76055
- Schartz, K. (2016, February 5). What Colleges Can Gain By Adding Makerspaces to Their Libraries. KQED MindShift. Retrieved from http://ww2.kqed.org/mindshift/2016/02/05/what-colleges-can-gain-by-adding-makerspaces-to-its-libraries/
- Ballard, J. (2014, Dec 8-10). Workshop teaches students 3-D printing. The Daily Aztec. Retrieved from https://issuu.com/thedailyaztec/docs/da-12-08-2014_issue/2
- John, N. (2014, Nov 28). 3-D Printers Add Dimension To The College Experience. KPBS Evening Edition. Retrieved from http://www.kpbs.org/news/2014/nov/28/3-d-printers-add-dimension-college-experience/
- Wong-Welch, J. (2017, March) “Using 3D Printers to Teach Information Literacy to College Students." Presentation at ACRL 2017, Baltimore, MD. http://buildit.sdsu.edu/pub/ACRL2017-wongwelch.pdf
- Wong-Welch, J. & Jeffery, K. (2016, June) “The Master Builders of an Academic Library Makerspace." Presentation at the 23rd Annual NMC Summer Conference, Rochester, NY. http://buildit.sdsu.edu/pub/NMC2016.pdf
- Smith, J. & Wong-Welch, J. (2016, March) “Making and Innovating: Year One at Two Universities." Presentation at Computers in Libraries, Washington, DC. http://conferences.infotoday.com/documents/220/D203_Wong-Welch(1).pptx
- Wong-Welch, J. (2016, February) “Build IT for ALL.” Presentation at Critical Librarianship and Pedagogy Symposium, Tucson, AZ. http://buildit.sdsu.edu/pub/build-it-for-all.pdf
- Wong-Welch, J. (2015, September) “build IT @SDSU Library, Insights from an Academic Library Student-Run Makerspace.” Presentation at Fablearn 2015, Stanford University, CA.http://fablearn.stanford.edu/2015/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/FL2015-EducatorPanel-Wong-Welch.pdf
- Wong-Welch, J., (2015, June). “Librarian as Engineering: Being a 3D Printing Mentor”. Presentation at the 122nd Annual Conference and Exposition of the American Society for Engineering Education, Seattle, WA. http://depts.washington.edu/englib/eld/conf/2015/2015 ASEE ELD Lightning Talks.pdf
- Wong-Welch, J & Nielsen, J. (2015, March). 3D Technology in the Academic Library: Informing, Collaborating, and Implementing. Poster session presented at the meeting of the Association of College & Research Libraries, Portland, OR.